Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Dare To Be Visible

Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. 
Don’t let anything stand in the way of the light that shines through this form. 
Risk being seen in all of your glory. - Jim Carrey




I have several blog posts in process.  Some are in my head, some are living in conversations with friends, some are saved, awaiting some combination of inspiration and revision before they are published.  It is amazing how liberating this process has been for me.  I have loved to write since I was old enough to hold a pencil.  But something silenced me for the past few years.  It was the fear of being seen and being rejected.  It was the fear that there was no place for me in this world.  I am so grateful to have heard the whisper of that familiar voice calling me.  "Grow, grow," it says.  "You want to write, so write."

I am thankful for the encouragement of the few readers who have shown support.  Over and over the words of Hafiz echo inside of me "how did the rose ever open its heart and give to this world all of its beauty?  It felt the encouragement of light against its being.  Otherwise we all remain afraid."  I am so terrified and energized and grateful to be expressing myself from a place of love and fear and truth.  I am so glad I created the space in my life to make mistakes and to risk being seen.

The thing is, you need to be seen to be known.  And you must be known to be loved.  Invisibility blocks both rejection and the wild embrace of light.  It is the task of the writer, the artist, the individual to continually bring the unconscious to light.  To open ourselves and be seen.

The above photo is of my first crocus of 2014.  How marvelous is nature?  Can you imagine a world where the birds and flowers remained hidden out of fear someone would see them and criticize?  Would you even want to imagine such a world?

I hope this post encourages you to show up in whatever way feels authentic for you.  Make the phone call, post the thought, paint the canvas, try the recipe, speak your truth.

The quote above is taken from a remarkable talk given by Jim Carrey.  You can watch the full video as well as read the transcript here.

Today my front yard is brown and barren.  I await with wondrous anticipation the buds and blooms still buried.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to all of this! Thank you for taking the risk. Thank you for writing and sharing. xoxox!

    ReplyDelete