Monday, January 12, 2015

The Easy Language of Magic


"Inside you there's an artist you don't know about...
Say yes quickly, if you know, if you've known it
from before the beginning of the universe. -Rumi

I am a magician.

It didn't start out that way.  It started out with me looking for a word to use as a guiding intention for the New Year.  My word for 2014 was “grace.”  This word helped me transition my life to one of greater ease and an abiding sense of thankfulness.   Grace helped me let go (a little) of the ways in which I was burdening myself.  I decided to continue along this stream of grace and use the word “easy” for 2015.  I love coming home, changing into my pajamas, and taking it easy.  I have seen great benefits from dialing back my workouts and simplifying my life.  Easy is a grand and noble thing.  I set my compass towards easy and headed to Palm Springs to spend the last 5 days of 2014 with my beloved aunt and uncle.
  


It was on one of the mornings there that the word “magic” jumped in my lap.  I was watching the sun rise above the effortlessly chill and gorgeous palm trees.  It is enough to stop you in your tracks and make you say “wow.”  It was magic.  As soon as I said that word, I knew it was my guiding word for the year.  I felt it.  It was like a bright, yellow, energetic puppy had climbed up in my lap and I had no choice but to take him home.  It was exactly the same feeling I had when I met my pup-companion, Boo.

I knew that my word was magic, but I didn’t know what that meant.  In many ways I was embarrassed to claim this word.  It sounded sort of juvenile and maybe a bit delusional.  I was hesitant to share my word.  I was even more hesitant to admit my next conclusion: if magic was my guiding intention then I was a magician.  I couldn’t be.  And yet I knew in my bones that I was.  I also knew that if something scared me, I needed to take a step closer and examine it.  Authenticity and embracing darkness are also part of my guiding intentions.  So I decided to try on the word magic and the title of magician.  I called my brother to get a feel for the response I might get.  He seemed unfazed, yet fully supportive.

I called my friend Derek and announced “my word for the year is magic.”  He replied “that’s perfect for you.”  I explained how I had originally chosen the word easy, but it didn’t feel right.  Derek immediately pointed out how magic and easy are similar.  They are companions.  If it’s not easy, it’s not magic. 
  


Magic moments are ones that come to us and take our breath away- a beautiful sunrise, having things work out without the need for over-planning, meeting someone who has the exact solution for your problem, quickly fixing something that once seemed overwhelming.

I am not trying to say that there aren't times when we need to work hard or give 100% effort.  I know life is not all roses and sunshine.  What I am saying is that when you collaborate with the conscious universe around you with a spirit of curiosity, creativity, and good-will, magical things will happen.  It is not up to us to decide what those things are.  It is up to us to be willing to show up as the instrument, the magician, who participates in making reality a bit more beautiful.





 I know that when I demonstrate my willingness to step into a bigger, more beautiful reality, the universe shows up in full support of how I am choosing to be.  I do not know what this year will bring, but I know that already it feels magical.  Magic is about making the unseen, seen.  It is about birthing dreams into reality.  It is also about alignment, synchronicity, flow, ease, and grace.  It's about intention.  A magician is a creator, an artist, a human being.  If it feels right, please join me in broadening our vision of what is possible.








No comments:

Post a Comment